Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Tale of the Tape

I realize that the XT 350 isn’t exactly what you would classify as a collector bike. I’m not going to bring it back to life to put it on the auction block, I doubt I would get very much. I’m doing what thousands upon thousands do to pass time during the cold hard winter. Taking a turd and giving it a good buffing, cause I can’t bowl worth a damn. The XT remained basically unchanged trough out it’s entire production run (1985-2000) I don’t know the production numbers, but it is safe to say they are far from rare.

As dual sport bikes go, the XT like most, makes a better road bike than a dirt weapon. You won’t see a whole lot of them lined up to take a time at your local hare scrambles. But as always, there will be exceptions to that rule. I sure someone out there is taking time slips on one of these things. They do make a great commuter bike and hold their own on the trails. I’m starting the tear down of my ‘87 today. So it’s time to get busy, I will leave you with the specs of this bike (which are pretty much the specs for them all)

Model: Yamaha XT 350
Year: 1987
Category: Enduro / offroad
Engine and transmission,
Displacement: 21.11 cubic inches (346.00 ccm)
Engine type: Single cylinder
Stroke: 4
Power: 27.00 HP (19.7 kW)) @ 8000 RPM
Compression: 9.0:1
Bore x Stroke: 3.4 x 2.3 inches (86.0 x 59.6 mm)
Valves per cylinder: 4
Fuel control: DOHC
Cooling system: Air
Gearbox: 6-speed
Weight incl. oil, gas, etc: 330.7 pounds (150.0 kg) Chassis and dimensions
Front tire dimensions: 3.00-21
Rear tire dimensions: 110/80-18 Front brakes: Single disc
Rear brakes: Expanding brake Speed and acceleration
Top speed: 83.9 mph (135.0 km/h)
Fuel capacity: 3.17 gallons (12 liters)

A nice unrestored example that recently sold on eBay.


Till Next Time......................

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...